About Friends of Hawthorn Tram
The Friends of Hawthorn Tram Depot Incorporated (ABN 11 293 508 607)
has been established by VicTrack
to assist with the operation of the Melbourne Tram Museum @ Hawthorn
Depot. It is a volunteer-based non-profit group established under the
Victorian Incorporations Act (incorporation number A0048167Z). It is
composed of representatives from VicTrack, Heritage
Victoria, honorary appointees with recognised expertise in tramway
history and preservation, and elected representatives of its volunteer
VicTrack is the government-owned entity that manages the rail-based
property and infrastructure owned by the State of Victoria, including
many of its historic rail locations and heritage railway/tramway equipment.
All staff at the Melbourne Tram Museum @ Hawthorn Depot on open days
Our purpose is to:
- establish and operate a volunteer group to assist in the development
and maintenance of the depot and its exhibits and to staff the facility
on open days
- acquire, store and exhibit objects and information illustrating
the history of Melbourne’s tramways and related matters on behalf
of the Victorian people in perpetuity
- maintain and develop the display of historic tramcars and associated
- promote Melbourne tramway heritage initiatives
- arrange and promote heritage tram operations
- provide information on the heritage of street tramway services
Our relationship with VicTrack:
owns the depot and the majority of the exhibits – some exhibits are
on loan from other tramway preservation groups.
provides some funding for museum operation and capital expenditure.
Other funding comes from our membership, and donations from the public.