Do you have any tramway memorabilia?
We are always interested in receiving donations of tramway material
related to Melbourne or Victorian trams, including photographs, film,
tickets, documents, uniforms and other ephemera. Donors of material
are acknowledged in ‘The Bellcord’, the journal
of the Friends of Hawthorn Tram Depot.
When considering making a donation to the collection of the Melbourne
Tram Museum @ Hawthorn Depot, you should be aware of our policy guidelines
for accepting donations of material:
- the donated item must be relevant to the collections primary
purpose – to record and/or illustrate the history of Victorian tramways
- relevant documentation and provenance should be available, and the
donor should be able to demonstrate clear title to the donated item
- where possible, the condition of the item should be reasonable,
unless worth to the collection of the individual item outweighs its
- storage and display conditions must be available and suitable for
- conditional terms of donation will not be accepted
- duplicates in general will not be accepted unless with particular
relevant provenance, or to provide the situation where an object may
be stored and another displayed and possibly result in the object’s
deterioration or to provide a reference or library copy, or where
the condition is superior to an existing item in the collection
- the item will be available for research or viewing, i.e. not for
private use only.
If you have any such items you wish to donate, please contact
us or call in on one of our open days.